Thursday, December 13, 2012

Service to the Lord and Service



Wisdom is vindicated by her works-Matthew 11:19

For most of the year 2010, I was deployed in Afghanistan in the Kandahar region.  Amongst my fellow soldiers, my faith was known and for the most part respected.  A few days before we were to leave Joint Base Lewis-McChord to head to Afghanistan, the Battalion was given a 4-day pass where most took to Seattle to engage in whatever they thought they would only be able to do for these 4 days.  As a result of a couple of intermingling situations, I decided that I would spend my 4 days with nuns at a convent in Lacey, Washington.  They offered me a price that was far greater than what I could afford in Seattle and it also catered to my perception that I should take a mini retreat just before my deployment. 

This context is to help to make sense of some of the faith-based initiatives that happened while deployed.  The first was an ardent defense of prayer when it first came under attack in country from one my soldiers.  He accused me of not doing my job because I was always in my bible or praying.  I simply let him vent his frustrations and pulled him aside and offered a few gentle, but strong, words to remind him of a few things.  I reminded him that he does not chastise me in any way because I had earned my Sergeant’s stripes and reminded him of his status as a private.  I also encouraged him to take up any issues with my faith with the squad leader and platoon sergeant.  With this, he came to understand my history with permission to pray often and also saw that I did not act as other leaders by not punishing him for his perception of my works.  I listened to him, addressed his issues, and offered him alternatives to my guidance if he so chose.  Ultimately, he would leave the service after this tour.  But, to this day, he goes out of his way to greet me whenever he sees me in common places.  (He works in restaurants and I like to dine out).  This is a tremendous affirmation of the unorthodox leadership skills I presented on deployment. 

In a move that would enrage organized atheists from coast to coast, I approached two of my soldiers and asked them if they would give up some of their free (relatively) time to construct an altar for the make-shift chapel we had.  They jumped at the opportunity to use their freshly minted training in carpentry.  The post Chaplain used his personal money to have some stain and polyurethane shipped over to complete the altar we had created.  In deference to my soldiers and our gift to the base, the Chaplain allowed me to preside over a Catholic Liturgy of the Word service as the first use of the altar.  The Chaplain was protestant and a good man.  As an aside, I liked to lead Liturgy of the Word services on Sundays to cater to the Catholics in the unit.  However, my leadership offered this to the post and soon I was preaching to all the Catholics on the post.  Since many of the workers on post were of Filipino descent, I had anywhere from 20-40 on any given Sunday.  I would offer them Starbursts candy to give something to take as we could not have the Eucharist.  Starbursts can never even come close to the Eucharist, but it is a gift they can take.  This Catholic offering of the Word in an organized manner continued to happen for several months and at several base camps that I would eventually find assignment. 

The final initiative was not my own.  A soldier moved by some inward stirring and wrestling with the Holy Spirit approached me after one Sunday Service and declared that he wanted to be Catholic.  So I began a rudimentary Catechesis program at the base camp for this soldier.  Often, I would end up preaching about things in these Catechesis Sessions.  One in particular was so Spirit-led that people who were walking past the “chapel”, stopped, came in and sat down.  Included in this were the Chaplain and his assistant.  I preached on the passion and death of the Lord.  I had to talk about this because Christianity is based on the saving love of Christ in his death. 

Many of these things felt like folly.  I have always felt unworthy to do the work of Christ but I am constantly reminded of the simple question ‘If not me, then who?’  The readings for December 14, 2012 speak to this in anticipation during this season of Advent.  The Prophet Isaiah offers a reflection on obedience.  Though short, the Church gives us this reading to invite our reflection on the Gospel.  The prophet tells us that God will “teach [us] what is for [our] good.”  We are not alone and we are not without shepherds and guides.  The people of Israel in antiquity and the people of the Church today seem to be coalescing in their patterns of behavior and thought processes.  The Church comes together with the leaders of many faith traditions and speak heavily to, as the Prophet stated, “hearken[ing] to [his] commandments.”  Most people today understand that the Church is defending itself on multiple fronts to mitigate the secular attempts to discredit and eliminate the faith.  Governments are directly passing accords and laws in affront to religious belief, faith tradition and in contravention of the norms of practice.  People are bombarded by the media blitz to undermine morality.  The Church speaks out with the new evangelization.  Catholics come home.  Let us return to the Lord. 

And the Gospel affirms this message.  Jesus is speaking to the crowds in Galilee but he is speaking to us very clearly.  “To what shall I compare this generation?  It is like children who sit in marketplaces and call to one another… wisdom is vindicated by her works.”  He is addressing the people who have called him and John the Baptist crazy and out of sorts with the status quo.  And Jesus retorts with absoluteness and reminds the people that wisdom is proved by works.  John called the people to repentance and Jesus healed and taught.  He drew the people to himself and continues to draw us today. 

To conclude this lengthy reflection, let us remember that our works show our wisdom.  It would seem prudent to do works of charity and faith so that we can glorify the Lord by our lives.  In doing the Lord’s will and bringing our praise to him, the ancillary effect should be the improved state of the people around us.  And certainly we should not do charity to appease the Lord but because love of neighbor, love of enemy, is the love of the Lord.  Let love in…

No comments:

Post a Comment