Sunday, July 6, 2014

A Slave For Jesus Christ

“Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened,
and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
for I am meek and humble of heart;
and you will find rest for yourselves. 
For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.”  - Matthew 11:28-30


I really love this passage and image from today's Gospel from the 14th Sunday in Ordinary Time.  Jesus speaks to us metaphorically of his love and mercy.  He wants to give us rest from all that troubles us.  I know many homilies today will talk about sharing the yoke with Jesus.  This is certainly implied in the Gospel today.  

Upon reflecting deeper upon this image and where I was in it from a modified Lectio Divina method, I found myself literally pulling a wagon that is quite full of my sinfulness and shame.  Jesus calls to me and I have to pull myself and all my baggage to him.  Once there, he takes away my labor and burden from the weight of my sinfulness and grants me peace and rest.  When I am rested, I take upon his yoke and become a slave for him.  St Paul introduces himself in some of his letters (Romans, Philippians and Titus) as a 'Servant of Jesus Christ,' 'slave,' or 'bondservant' depending on translation.  Any of these descriptions are incredibly accurate for me.  Jesus tells me that his yoke is easy and his burden is light.  His wagon carries no baggage for me except a cross that promises eternity in his presence in heaven.  This yoke has no sinfulness or shame but bears witness to the joy of the Gospel.  And Jesus says, Come to me...

The love of God is made manifest for us in the sacraments of the Church.  We are called to follow the Lord in holiness and truth.  The strength for this journey comes from the same love of God given to us in the sacraments.  Confession and the Eucharist are our yoke and food for the journey to righteousness.  I absolutely hate going to confession but absolutely love coming out of confession.  I don't exactly celebrate going to Lord because of my sinfulness, but like Paul, if I should boast, I should boast in Jesus Christ.  

Going to confession is an exercise in becoming meek and humble of heart for sure.  Father, forgive me it has not been that long since my last confession and, Jesus, I need to confess and say to you that I am sorry for all that I have done.  And, Jesus, you speak to me the truth I need to hear in that moment, for that time.  But most of all, Lord, you tell me again that you love me and want me to live so that I can spend the rest of my life and eternity with you.  I take your penance and profess my sincerest apology and unworthiness.  You remind me again that in your cross my sins have already been reconciled to the Father and, through the priest in your person, you grant me absolution.  Your love truly is extravagant.  

The mercy of God today calls to us all.  Becoming aware of the yoke upon our shoulders and going to Jesus for relief and rest is the reminder to us all today.  Jesus loves me and Jesus love you.  His yoke really is easy; his burden is certainly light.  

Hear the call of Jesus:  Come to me...

No comments:

Post a Comment