Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Brandon Loved


Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, [love] is not pompous, it is not inflated, it is not rude, it does not seek its own interests, it is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury, it does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth.  It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.  1 Corinthians 13:4-7

Some movies have a way of artistically telling a story.  Love stories have always captured my attention and my heart in a longing way.  A Walk To Remember does these things for me and more.  I watch that movie and every time I feel an affinity for Landon Carter because I relate to him in so many ways.  I feel like I have betrayed friendships for popularity, though I have never been that popular.  Sometimes, movies can help us to understand ourselves better.  Nicholas Sparks’ treasure in this movie also moves me spiritually.  There is nothing more beautiful than watching a soul embrace Jesus and eternity with love and hope.  The character Jamie reminds me of my sister, Jennifer.  She passed two and half years ago from cancer.  I remember her telling me that she wanted her kids to be Catholic.  While she would describe herself as Catholic, the world would probably disagree.  However, she loved life and she loved her kids and family.  She loved.  Jesus asked us all to love and it is with joyful hope, albeit sad joyful hope, but hope all the same that she shares in the inheritance promised in her baptism.  Jesus loves us all.  Dare we believe that all men should be saved?

If I can learn from this movie, from my sister, from my Lord to love, then count a miracle.  I think that it can be said that “Brandon is not patient, Brandon is not kind.  Brandon is jealous, Brandon is pompous, Brandon is inflated, Brandon is rude, Brandon does seek his own interests, Brandon is quick-tempered, Brandon does brood over injury, Brandon does rejoice over wrongdoing and does not rejoice with the truth.  Brandon does not bear all things, does not believe all things, does not hope all things, does not endure all things.”  And this is the root of my own failings.  A simple confession here can be evidenced with a laundry list of sins that have preceded me.  But with Jesus comes love and mercy.  And with hope and faith and love, I believe that Jesus proceeds me with forgiveness.  In coming to know my Lord more, I should hope that I can forgive myself and be forgiven by those who have been victimized and scandalized by my lack of love. 

Come Holy Spirit into my life and capture my heart and let me learn to breathe again.  And one day perhaps it will be said that “Brandon is patient, Brandon is kind.  Brandon is not jealous, Brandon is not pompous, he is not inflated and he is not rude, Brandon does not seek his own interests, Brandon is not quick-tempered, Brandon does not brood over injury, Brandon does not rejoice over wrongdoing and rejoices with the truth.  Brandon bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.”  Perhaps by the strength of Jesus, I will have a walk to remember.  Perhaps by the strength of Jesus I will have faith like the Saints.  Perhaps by the strength of Jesus, I will live like I am not afraid.  Let it be said one day that with the grace and strength of the Lord:  Brandon loved.  

No comments:

Post a Comment