Monday, February 17, 2014

The Testing Of Your Faith Produces Perseverance


James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ,
to the twelve tribes in the dispersion, greetings.

Consider it all joy, my brothers and sisters,
when you encounter various trials,
for you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.
And let perseverance be perfect,
so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
But if any of you lacks wisdom,
he should ask God who gives to all generously and ungrudgingly,
and he will be given it.  James 1:1-5

I would like to reflect upon the readings for today.  The Gospel is the key to our understanding and friendship with Jesus but my first thoughts are from the introduction of the Letter of St James.  St James tell us to consider it all joy when we encounter various trials.  I, for one, usually do not count it all joy when I encounter a trial.  Joy, as a matter of fact, is hardly an emotion that comes to mind when I encounter a trial.  But the Church teaches us that we should imitate Jesus.  And Jesus tells us that his ways are not our ways.  So it becomes apparent just how much I fail at my own friendship with Jesus and my own spiritual journey in becoming faithful to his commands.  However, the opening of this letter offers encouragement for me, and for any who read it.  It is the testing of our faith that brings perseverance so that we may be perfect.  I’ve often disliked the idea of having my faith tested.  I’ve given myself reasons to reject this notion.  However, I think that it has been one of the greatest sources of my own pride and arrogance to reject this altogether.  I have been tested often and I often fail.  But the beauty of the faith and the perfect love of Jesus allows me to be reconciled to the Church and reconciled with my Lord.  It all begins with asking for forgiveness, acknowledging I have failed, and in contrition, renew my vigor to live holy.  The letter tells us to ask God who gives to all generously and ungrudgingly.  Realizing just how these words impact me is great because I often make myself on my generosity.  It is through this that I am made humble in comparison to the Lord.  I give people things but I cannot give people breath or life.  The Lord generosity shows to me that I am often selfish.  That is not to boast or to diminish my own efforts but highlights my own shortcomings.   However, I have come to appreciate that God seeks to form me in such a way that I can fulfill his plan for me.  But the plan for me has been difficult for me to discern because of my own selfish nature and my own sinfulness.  Vocational discernment is all about being close to God and discovering for ourselves what we believe we are called to do and what God call us to do.  I’ve often counseled friends that discernment is made clear when our will and God’s will become indistinguishable.  However, in my own life, I find that as I am in the desert and away from my home and church, it has been difficult to allow God into my life.  But with the grace of God I may be found and with the help of the Lord, I will answer his call to what is for me in my life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment