Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Lent Prep


Therefore, gird up the loins of your mind,
live soberly, and set your hopes completely
on the grace to be brought to you at the 
revelation of Jesus Christ.  Like obedient children,
do not act in compliance with the desires of your 
former ignorance but...Be holy because I am holy. - 1 Peter 1: 13-14, 16

The time of Lent is upon us.  Technically in the West, it has not yet arrived, but from Europe onward, it has.  I believe sometimes that deployments are really long and extended Lenten seasons.  For me, they tend to be times of prayer, fasting and almsgiving.  I pray for my safety and the safety of men, but I also pray for the safety of the family and friends left behind.  I am forced to fast from the luxuries and conveniences of home.  And I tend to be able to save a little bit of money so I usually send some home to my family.  

Lent is upon us again.  This week there will be discussions back home about what people gave up and how long some can go without chocolate or Facebook.Some will not endure the 40 days and others will break this Lenten fast with a joyful celebration and indulgence in that which they gave up.  Today’s readings are here to help usher us into this Lenten season.  ‘Gird up the loins of your mind’ according to Saint Peter.  He is telling us to strengthen our minds.  Giving up things for lent do require willpower but being holy as the Lord is holy requires the grace of the Lord in addition to willpower.  

The season of Lent calls us to holiness through humility.  We are called to salvation through holiness.  Lent is not some obstacle or silly rule but is a practical exercise in fidelity, obedience and sacrifice for the sake of personal sanctity.  This is not a time for giving things up, even though those are beneficial practices, but rather this is a time for building a relationship with Jesus Christ by removing the things that distract us most from pursing the Lord.  

The biggest distraction for me is sin.  Lent is usually a time where I tend to focus more on my failings and shortcomings and usually will head to confession once or twice a week.  However, right now that is not an option.  I don’t have a resident priest and I am not allowed to leave.  All is not lost because my relationship with the Lord is dependent by a man in persona Christi, though it is very essential to my faith, my relationship with the Lord is entirely dependent upon my own willpower and desire for the Lord.  I love to say the Act of Contrition in confession.  I went to a priest who had a card put out with an alternate Act of Contrition.  It went something like this:  Father, I have sinned against heaven and earth and am no longer worthy to be called your son.  Have mercy on me, a sinner.   The prodigal son comes home.  We make a vow to sin no more.  But as humans, we forget this promise very quickly.
 
It is through our own fault, most grievous fault.  But God tells us through the scriptures, over and over again, that he forgives us.  Even when that became too much for humans to continuously seek forgiveness from God, the Lord Jesus then delegated this ability to forgive to the Apostles when he breathed on them and commissioned them to go out into the world.  The Apostles, through their successors, remind us of a few things.  They remind us that sin is real.  This is a hard statement at this time in the world where it is becoming increasingly rare that people take responsibility for their decisions and actions.  I know I am growing increasingly frustrated by civil authorities who absolve people of their crimes because of bad parenting or because they are rich and don’t know any better.  But at the same time, I am called to remember the mercy of God.  God has been very merciful to me in my life.  

God has allowed me to know a few bishops in the Church.  The more I came to know Jesus and the more I came to understand about the Church, the more I began to pity the office of the Bishop.  To whom much is given, much is expected.  Even more so for a bishop.  The Lord gives a shepherd who is to stand humbly above the people so that he can see and guide the faithful to Jesus.  

The bishop is responsible for the souls of his people.  His salvation depends on salvation of his people.  It is very difficult indeed for the one who wears the miter to hide.He is not meant to hide.  He is to stand out in front of the people.  He is to live courageously the joy of the Gospel.  May God bless our shepherds with grace and poise to do the will of the Lord and to lead us to the cross.  


And in this Lenten season, may we be drawn closer to the cross of Christ and rebuild our relationship with him as we take away the things that distract us.  We must be strong.  As St Peter said, we must gird the loins of our minds.  

No comments:

Post a Comment