Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Sacred Silence...Jesus Messiah...Ashes


We implore you on behalf of Christ,
be reconciled to God.
For our sake he made him to be sin
who knew no sin, 
so that we might become the righteousness
of God in him. -2 Corinthians 5:20-21

“He became sin who knew no sin that we might become his righteousness.”  This jewel of sacred scripture describes for us the love of God.  It is also the lyrics to a Chris Tomlin song called “Jesus Messiah.”  “He humbled himself and carried the cross.  Love so amazing...”  Those are the words that follow in that song.  It is interesting because this song is an anthem for all Christians.  I don’t mean to say that I can speak to the musical interests of every Christian but there are some songs that I believe are being sung around the heavenly throne by the angels and the saints.  Along with the psalms, I believe that “Jesus Messiah” and “Holy Is the Lord” are being sung there right now.  

His Excellency, Charles Chaput OFM, Cap., receiving ashes.
It is interesting that I hear that song in my head on this Ash Wednesday.  Ash Wednesday begins our Lenten season of prayer, fasting and almsgiving.  I did not have the opportunity to get ashes today because I am deployed and to the best of my knowledge, there was not a priest at our base.  I made a less than honest effort to obey the fast and abstinence.  I know that I could have not eaten meat at lunch, but I figured that it would be potentially irresponsible in the event that an emergency should come up and I am not at full energy.  I know there are many priests and bishops who give the dispensation from the fast and abstinence from meat to deployed soldiers because of what we do, but I cannot help feeling like I have let down the Church in some way.  I definitely did not eat as much as I would have normally so there was some sacrifice.  But I certainly look forward to fish fridays.  

The Church asks us to pray, fast and to give alms during this season.  This is not really different from any other Church season but Lent approaches Holy Week and Easter and sacrifice gives us the opportunity to prepare our hearts and souls for the joy of celebrating the Paschal Mystery.  Prayer is our gift to communicate with the Lord.  The Lord opens his ears and heart to our needs and joys.  He wants to share in our joys and our sorrows.  We fast so that we can help our bodies to know what it is to need.  The Lord taught us to fast so that we can see that we are dependent on more than just food.  “Man does not live on bread alone but on every word of God (Matthew 4:4).”  Sometimes the pangs of hunger remind me of my own mortality, as if I needed another reminder of that.  It is the joy of dying that allows me to remember that I have a God who loves me, “who became sin so that we might become the righteousness of God” (2 Cor 5:21).  And we give alms out of joy for what the Lord gives us.  Alms is not always money but can be our time or our talent.  The grace of God is meant to be poured out upon us and overflow into the world.  

The scriptures also call for us to be reconciled to God.  Prayer is our invitation and the sacraments are a gift and a tool in order to be reconciled to God.  It is our frequenting of the sacraments that allows us to overflow with God’s grace.  There is great peace and joy in telling the Lord, in the sacrament, ‘Lord, I’m sorry... please forgive me.  Come and set me free.” 
I guess I am in a musical mood because those words come from Tom Booth’s song, “Sacred Silence.”  There is beauty in music and there is beauty in the sacraments.  There is beauty in being forgiven.  

Today on Ash Wednesday, go to Mass if you can.  Listen to the words of the priests.  I cannot begin to talk about what I could expect from a homily today.  We hear the words of the Lord and we will hear about the value of prayer, fasting and almsgiving.  This is not trivial but can get repetitive over time.  But remember, these are things we need to call to mind as often as we can because they help us in our relationship with Jesus.  There is nothing more important and valuable than our relationship with Jesus.  Lord I’m sorry...Please forgive me.  Come and set me free...

No comments:

Post a Comment