Sunday, July 10, 2011

An Invitational Reflection

“My word…that goes forth from my mouth shall not return to me void.”—Isaiah 55:11

Our Sundays are assuredly a day of rest, mandated by God, but they are also days of action.  The Lord calls each of us to participate fully in the life of the Church which is also our participation in the Liturgy every Sunday.  The Holy Mass is where we receive the Lord Jesus and render our service to the Lord.  It happens all too often that we can fall into despair and forget that we are loved and we have family that will be with us on our way.  God is our Father and he never abandons us.  Jesus, our brother and Lord, even goes so far as to tell us that “Amen, Amen, I say to you, whoever believes in me will do the works that I do, and will do greater ones than these, because I am going to the Father (John 14:12).”  Jesus is the Word of God and the word cannot return void.  I have never walked on water.  I have never given sight to the blind.  I have never commanded a paralyzed man to “rise, take your mat, and walk out of here.”  I have never called anyone to rise from the grave.  And yet, Christ promises that if I believe in him, not only will I do these things but do greater things than this.  How am I to surrender to God?  How am I to trust him long enough to believe in him?  The simple answer for me is adoration of the Lord opening my heart to triune prayer, and living the freedom that Christ earned for me.  ‘Greater things have yet to come and greater things are still to be done in this city.’ –God Of This City, Chris Tomlin, Hello Love 

“Lord, your love is life to all.  I invite your Spirit to come into my life and show me only what I am to do.  God, your grace is welcome at all times and may you please pour it and fill my heart so that I may be not just me but you who live in me for the world to see.  Lead me past temptation and bring me back to the new life you gave me when I baptized in you, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Amen”

No comments:

Post a Comment