Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Tuesday's Reflection

"Whenever you begin any good work you should first of all make a most pressing appeal to Christ our Lord to bring it to perfection" --from the Rule of St Benedict

I don't about most people and how they view things, but every time I set out to do work, I think of it as 'good work.'  I don't set out and intentionally seek to do bad work.  I usually aim to perform most of my tasks to the extremely best of my abilities.  The rule of St Benedict was considered by many to be a strict and hard way to live a monastic life. However, the rules, when followed, made living the faith very easy.  This particular rule quoted above convicts me in most of my actions during the course of the day.  I don't pray before working on a project at the office.  I didn't pray before cooking breakfast. There is so much in life where we can and should invite Christ to be with us and perfect in us all that he desires.  When looking at life from the 'big picture', we must try to see that anything that does not lead or contribute to our salvation is useless.  I am not saying that some of these things do not have a value in day-to-day life but they can be all the same useless.  I tend to call these things "guilty pleasures."  My video games are my guilty pleasure, movies are my guilty pleasure.  Actually just about anything that goes on my TV is a guilty pleasure.  Today we reflect on the grace of Christ and his will for our lives.  And may Christ bring all things in us to perfection.


"Loving Father of our Redeemer, Christ our Savior, Spirit of fire; be with us today.  We need your presence more than ever.  Today give peace to our souls and rest to our bodies that as we enter again into the world you created to give you better service.  All of our hope is you, Jesus, you certainly are the Light of the World.  Come into our hearts and make us living witnesses to your glory.  We ask this through the same Christ our Lord.  Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment