Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Reflection on Holiness

"Holiness is not something extraordinary;  it is not the luxury of the few.  Holiness is the simple duty for each one of us."-- Mother Teresa

Have we ever thought 'what are our simple duties?'  I have never really thought about my simple duties.  I would think they would be to eat, sleep, and pray.  Holiness, for a long time, seemed like some abstract notion that was just outside of my grasp.  Mother Teresa today speaks to us about just how accessible holiness in our lives. We know that to be 'holy' means to be set apart for God.  By extension, holiness is simply the being in God.  Holiness is not necessarily in the lack of sin but rather what we do in the face of temptation.  Our reaction to temptation is what will determine our own holiness.  Falling into temptation does not necessarily preclude one from holiness.  We pray and we fight in the face of temptation but if we fall, we take ownership of our shortcoming and we confess to almighty God and receive the grace of the Sacrament of Reconciliation and get back on the path to righteousness.  Every Saint knew confession very well and were no stranger to reconciliation.  We must humbly accept that this history should teach us that we are to be no different in our quest for sanctification and salvation.  Holiness is being set apart for God. What have we set apart for God in our lives?  I have gradually worked my own life to getting up in the morning 40 minutes earlier to make time to pray and reflect upon the word of God.  That is not meant to be arrogant but rather the humble admission of what I have done.  Where can we allow God to permeate in our lives?  The true answer is everywhere.  God has told us through Scripture and revelation that he wants us to call upon him in need.  We certainly need him every day.


"Lord, by your cross and resurrection you have saved the world.  In this day, let me open my heart just enough for you to come in and save me personally from the fears and temptations of this day. Calm my heart and fulfill the promises you have made while at the same time building the hope that is found in you.  Your grace is enough for me and I offer you this day so that I can become more holy and dwell with you.  Grant this Christ our Lord. Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment